PhRMA members leading the way in search for new medicines and cures
PhRMA, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, represents the country’s leading biopharmaceutical researchers and biotechnology companies.
Our members are committed to finding tomorrow’s cures and treatments for some of the most serious diseases such as Cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, Cystic Fibrosis and Parkinson’s.
New medicines are an integral part of the healthcare system, providing doctors and their patients with safe and effective treatment options, extending and improving quality of life.
PhRMA's mission is to conduct effective advocacy for public policies that encourage discovery of important new medicines for patients by pharmaceutical and biotechnology research companies. To accomplish this mission, PhRMA is dedicated to achieving these goals in Washington, the states and the world:
- Broad patient access to safe and effective medicines through a free market, without price controls;
- Strong intellectual property incentives;
- And transparent, effective regulation and a free flow of information to patients.
Who We Are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents innovative biopharmaceutical research and discovery companies. PhRMA is devoted to advancing public policies in the U.S. and around the world that support innovative medical research, yield progress for patients today and provide hope for the treatments and cures of tomorrow.
What We Believe
We believe a vibrant biopharmaceutical research industry is critical to patients and global health. Continued U.S. leadership in biopharmaceutical research and development is foundational to American economic growth and competitiveness. This requires:
- A business environment that inspires and rewards investment in research and development, while recognizing the unique risks and costs of our industry’s marketplace;
- A thriving and collaborative scientific ecosystem that advances knowledge and innovation;
- A modern, transparent regulatory system that evolves with the science to bring safe and effective medicines to patients quickly; and,
- A proper valuation for innovative medicines.
Key Facts About Innovative Medicines
- PhRMA member companies spent an estimated 51.2 billion in 2014 to discover and develop new medicines
- Roughly 3,500 compounds are currently being studied in the United States alone—more than in any other region
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) was formed in 1958 to represent America’s biopharmaceutical research companies and seek essential alignment between public policy and medical research to address patient needs.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in leading biopharmaceutical research communities, PhRMA advocates in the U.S. and around the world on public policy issues critical to the discovery and development of innovative medicines.
These priorities include the increased complexity and risk of the research and development process; continued need for investment in R&D; broad access to and appropriate use of medicines; increased value for today's patients; and the continued importance of strong intellectual property incentives for new medicines.
Our 12 offices are located across the United States and in Tokyo, Japan, and the UAE.
- Washington, DC – Headquarters
- Albany, NY
- Atlanta, GA
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Denver, CO
- Foxboro, MA
- Indianapolis, IN
- Olympia, WA
- Sacramento, CA
- St. Paul, MN
- Tokyo, Japan
- Dubai, UAE