Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Manager for its Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (herein, Alliance) team to support state based alliance relationship development, consultant management, events, programs and activities.
The Manager will report to the Deputy Vice President for Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (State) and will work closely with ASA staff and colleagues across PhRMA. The Manager will support the development and implementation of strategies that impact the biopharmaceutical public policy debate through work with third party allies.
Specifically, the Manager will:
- Work with the ASA State regional team to support management of our 50 state field-based consultant network, including coordination and reporting of state based partner relationship development, events, meetings, briefings, letters, calls, and other activities.
- Manage event series coordination across multiple states, including cross-PhRMA coordination, providing support for event planning, consultant management, logistics, budget management, media tracking, crowd-building, and reporting.
- Support industry employee grassroots efforts to educate, engage and activate employees on key policy issues including state and federal legislation and direct voter initiatives.
- Support state based programs to educate and assist ally groups in better understanding pharmaceutical industry policy positions and issues. Identify areas of opportunities and develop strategies to advance industry priorities at the state level.
- Align closely with other departments, including attending inter-departmental meetings and reporting back to the team, understanding advocacy goals/objectives, and responding to requests promptly.
- Have opportunity to develop professionally, including training in how to lead large and small group meetings, give presentations on industry value, and develop long and short term strategies and plans.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. This is a visible position and is both internally and externally facing. Key success factors for this role include strong organization and execution skills as well as a team focus and collaboration skills. The preferred candidate will be skilled in event planning and grassroots communications. Political campaign experience and consultant management experience are also preferred. Candidate should be adaptable, able to prioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Public Affairs or related field;
- 2-3 years of experience in grassroots mobilization, coalition development, public affairs and/or media relations;
- Strong organizational and event planning skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state legislative and regulatory processes; and,
- Must be willing to travel 50% of the time and be responsive and available after hours and on weekends
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement for consideration to: email@example.com.