The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Manager for the Public Affairs team to support its executive communication and advocacy efforts. Reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs, the successful candidate will be engaged in a highly visible position with PhRMA’s leadership.
The Manager will be responsible for developing executive communications in support of PhRMA’s mission and advocacy efforts including:
- Assistance in the development of PowerPoint presentations and prepared remarks for PhRMA’s Board of Directors and committee meetings;
- Support development of prepared remarks for PhRMA leaders to be used at external meetings, conferences and seminars;
- Assistance preparing internal communications for PhRMA’s leadership including support for monthly staff meetings as well as public affairs communications materials to member companies and member company leadership.
- Collaborating with public affairs colleagues to ensure that PhRMA’s messaging and style guidelines are used consistently across materials; and
- Developing and managing deliverables, workflow, and incorporating internal edits on work product.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident, action-oriented and meticulous colleague who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of teamwork and collaborative focus, as well as the ability to manage multiple overlapping deadlines and workstreams. Experience with PowerPoint, familiarity with AP Style, and experience developing, drafting and editing executive-level communications are a prerequisite.
The preferred candidate will bring previous experience with executive communications (i.e., corporate, statehouse, Capitol Hill, Federal agency, trade or professional association) in a highly dynamic, fast paced, high visibility and deadline-driven environment. The candidate will be an organized, detail-oriented self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to anticipate, manage and staff a principal.
Experience with healthcare and the federal or state legislative process is strongly preferred but not required.
This is a highly-visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Health care issue experience and expertise preferred;
- 2+ years of diverse communications experience within corporate, government, public relations agency, trade association, and/or advocacy organization(s) or political campaigns;
- A results-oriented team player – corporate, political and/or trade association experience preferred with a keen understanding of organizational operations/dynamics;
- Ability to inspire confidence within the organization and with external constituencies;
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament;
- Must be willing to travel and be responsive/available after hours and on weekends
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $65.5 billion in 2016 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: email@example.com