Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Manager for its Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (herein, Alliance) team to support its third-party engagement strategy and priorities. The Senior Manager will assist broadly across the Alliance team and work closely with PhRMA colleagues, member companies, external consultants and constituent groups.
The Senior Manager will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Manage PhRMA’s We Work for Health program. We Work for Health is a 14 state coalition in the pharmaceutical, business and patient communities that raises awareness about the life-saving and life-enhancing advancements in medicine and educates elected leaders on the impact that public policies have on their ability to continue to innovate. Efforts include coalition coordination, outreach, communications and strategy development.
- Manage state-based field teams and consultants to include daily operational management and oversight and budget management.
- Brief state-based field teams on federal priority issues, and work with them to tailor messaging for partners and federal elected officials.
- Support the Deputy Vice President, Alliance in leading PhRMA’s grassroots advocacy workgroup, including strategies and implementation for PhRMA member-company employee education and engagement.
- Plan and execute the We Work for Health summit in Washington, D.C., an annual event bringing together key stakeholders from around the country for panel discussions and meetings with key Members of Congress.
- Along with the Deputy Vice President, Alliance, lead third-party engagement activities which may include coordinating and participating in workgroups and frequent meetings to foster and maintain strong, effective relationships.
- Conduct research and analysis and produce summaries, distillations and other deliverables.
- Create agendas, presentation materials and summary/compilation reports and vet documents internally for approval.
- Serve as a liaison both within Alliance and more broadly to help coordinate efforts PhRMA-wide.
Key Success Factors
Key success factors for this role include strong relationship building, multi-tasking and organizational skills. The successful candidate for this role will be flexible and responsive, a self-starter and problem solver, creative, diplomatic and be able to work effectively under pressure. S/he should have a strong team orientation, excellent interpersonal and written communications skills and the desire to learn and grow with the broader association. This is a visible position and is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, and be politically savvy, diplomatic, and mature.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Campaign experience or state/federal legislative experience;
- Strong relationship building and collaboration skills;
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills;
- Passion, motivation, energy, creativity and curiosity.
- 3-5 years relevant professional experience;
- Public affairs, health policy, trade association or Capitol Hill experience.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org