Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Vice President (VP) for its Public Affairs team. Reporting into the Executive Vice President of Public Affairs, the VP will help manage department operations and play a lead role in crafting the association’s communications strategy and public positioning.
This is a highly visible position and will be both internally and externally facing. The VP will work closely with PhRMA Board members and member company staff, PhRMA executives and other key stakeholders to design and implement effective communications and advocacy campaigns to shape the public discussion around issues affecting the biopharmaceutical industry and to advance the industry’s policy priorities.
Responsibilities for the VP include:
- Helping to craft the overall communications strategy for the association, including shaping and executing high-profile public affairs, advocacy and media relations campaigns on priority issues;
- Developing and implementing a proactive strategy to increase public visibility of the CEO and senior executives;
- Developing and managing a team of public affairs professionals,
- Overseeing member company engagement to enhance advocacy efforts and ensure broad understanding of and alignment with external communications strategies;
- Working with the EVP to handle engagement with the PhRMA Board of Directors on all Public Affairs department activities;
- Serving as a communications advisor to internal and external stakeholders;
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure alignment across the association on communications and advocacy activities;
- Reviewing communications materials, including press releases, op-eds, talking points, blog posts and briefing documents;
- Managing a number of communications consultants to ensure resources are being used efficiently and effectively.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks an experienced, creative and collaborative communications strategist who is passionate about the mission of the biopharmaceutical industry. Key success factors for this role include demonstrated leadership skills, long-term vision, sound judgment, a campaign mentality and impeccable ethics and integrity. The preferred candidate will have experience working with senior executives, managing a team of communications professionals and leading high-profile public affairs and advocacy campaigns. S/he will be adaptable, a creative problem solver, extremely detail oriented and be comfortable in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills are a must as is the ability to lead and motivate a high performing team and inspire confidence.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Public Affairs or related field;
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in communications, advocacy or public affairs;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Experience engaging with or working in the health care industry preferred;
- Proven experience managing and developing high performing teams.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement for consideration to our search partner for this role, Broad Branch Strategies: email@example.com.