PhRMA President & CEO John Castellani
John Castellani Biography
John J. Castellani is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), which represents America’s leading biopharmaceutical research companies. The biopharmaceutical sector directly employs over 810,000 Americans, and invested more than $50 billion in 2013 alone to develop new medicines that help patients fight disease and live longer, healthier lives.
At the nexus of public policy, health and business, Mr. Castellani leads PhRMA’s work to preserve and strengthen a healthcare and economic environment that fosters medical innovation, new drug discovery and access to life-saving medicines. He is a passionate advocate for a strong American biopharmaceutical research industry that plays a critical role in helping improve patients’ health in the U.S. and around the world.
Recognized each year by The Hill newspaper as one of America’s top health care policy experts, Mr. Castellani is a member of the Board of Trustees at Sibley Memorial Hospital and a member of the Board of Directors of the National Health Council. He was also honored with the Bryce Harlow Foundation’s prestigious Business-Government Relations Award, recognizing his leadership and exemplary, life-long contribution to the public affairs and advocacy profession.
Mr. Castellani is a former President and CEO of Business Roundtable, an association of chief executive officers of leading U.S. corporations with a combined workforce of nearly 12 million employees and $6 trillion in annual revenues.
Prior to Business Roundtable, Mr. Castellani was Executive Vice President of Tenneco, Inc.
Mr. Castellani, who began his career as an environmental scientist at General Electric, earned his bachelor’s degree at Union College in Schenectady, New York.
- Turning the Tide Against Cancer, October 9, 2014
- Keck Graduate Institute: KGI Convocation 2014; September 5, 2014
- PhRMA 2014 Annual Meeting Remarks: Collaborating toward Cures, April 10, 2014
- Morning Consult: Why Are Cancer Medicines Expensive?, October 6, 2014
- CNN: Hepatitis drugs save money in long run, July 24, 2014
- Morning Consult: Coverage vs. Access: Ensuring Patients Can Get the Medicines They Need, June 18, 2014
- The Hill: Health insurance model must evolve, May 30, 2014
- The Hill: A national strategy for industry investment, January 22, 2014
Page last updated 11/04/14 ~ 12:05 pm EST