PhRMA President & CEO John Castellani
John J. Castellani is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), an organization that represents America’s leading biopharmaceutical research companies. The biopharmaceutical sector directly employs over 810,000 Americans working to develop new medicines that help patients fight disease and live longer, healthier lives.
Working at the intersection of public policy, health and business, Mr. Castellani leads PhRMA’s efforts to preserve and strengthen a healthcare and economic environment that fosters medical innovation, new drug discovery and access to life-saving medicines. He is a passionate advocate for a strong, innovative and growing American biopharmaceutical research industry that plays a critical role in helping to improve the health of patients in the U.S. and around the world.
Mr. Castellani has been recognized by The Hill newspaper as one of America’s top health care lobbyists. He also was honored with the Bryce Harlow Foundation’s prestigious Business-Government Relations Award, recognizing his leadership and exemplary life-long contribution to the public affairs and advocacy profession.
Mr. Castellani is a former President and CEO of Business Roundtable, an association of chief executive officers of leading U.S. corporations with a combined workforce of nearly 12 million employees and $6 trillion in annual revenues.
Prior to Business Roundtable, Mr. Castellani was Executive Vice President of Tenneco, Inc.
Mr. Castellani, who began his career as an environmental scientist at General Electric, earned his bachelor’s degree at Union College in Schenectady, New York.
Related news stories / opinion pieces
- The Hill: A National strategy for industry investment
- Eli Lilly chief calls for investment in STEM education
- Former NASA astronaut urges educators to make STEM 'more exciting'
- Conversation on health care accomplishments in 2013
- Committment to research will yield results in fight against Alzheimer's
- Addressing Obesity in America: Economics & Impact on Diverse Patient Communities, John J. Castellani Remarks at Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease
- Keynote Remarks at Rutgers Business School Annual Healthcare Symposium
- Remarks at Congressional Black Caucus 2013 Spring Health Braintrust 10th Annual Leadership Summit and Awards Dinner
- 2013 Annual Meeting Remarks
Page last updated 02/04/14 ~ 10:03 am EST