Chief of Staff – Policy, Research & Membership
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Chief of Staff (CoS) who will support PhRMA’s Policy, Research and Membership leadership team in the performance of their duties, initiatives, and responsibilities. This position reports to the Executive Vice President, Policy working closely with the Policy and Research leadership team. This is a highly visible position that will be both internally and externally facing. The CoS will serve as the department’s point of contact for a broad set of cross-functional priorities within PhRMA and help the EVP ensure alignment and coordination across strategic goals and objectives to create an environment of collaboration, teamwork and excellence.
The Chief of Staff will:
- Serve as part of the Policy and Research leadership team and in this role, advise on strategic and operating plans, help with planning and prioritization, stakeholder engagement and departmental effectiveness.
- Lead planning for biweekly Federal Steering meetings, including setting agendas, reviewing and helping to shape content. Create and drive agendas and lead development of presentation content for key internal and external meetings.
- Have a deep understanding of the highest priorities facing the department and coordinate execution and follow up, facilitate quality information flow and thorough collaboration with department leadership, speak on behalf of the team internally at PhRMA, and generally enhance the effectiveness of the leadership team. Maintain centralized knowledge of team information.
- Manage key cross-cutting efforts that require engagement of PRD staff across units, such as summaries or comparisons of legislation or other policy proposals. Provide Federal team with preparation for Congressional hearings; assessment of the President’s budget.
- In collaboration with Federal team colleagues, act as key staff point of contact for the Federal Committee of the Board of Directors. Ensure effective/meaningful communications to the Committee chair, help develop and edit written pre-reads, talking points for Board members, and verbal presentation content (slides and talking points). Provide post-meeting follow-up communications and materials, as required.
- In collaboration with the PRDM leadership team, lead efforts to disseminate information about policy and research department activities to internal PhRMA leadership and member companies; play key role in overseeing content on member website and preparing update bulletins/routine communications for member companies.
- Promote regular dialogue and assist in the building and maintaining of relationships with key member company staff and Heads of Office, addressing concerns and/or recommendations, coordinating and engaging as appropriate. Serve as trusted information conduit for senior staff at member companies.
- Facilitate and act as liaison for requests from other PhRMA departments. Provide input on strategic approaches to inquiries, answers to questions, content and coordination for other departmental meetings, and connect requests to appropriate subject matter experts.
- Manage and coach 2-3 staff. Set objectives, provide direction and oversight of department administrative support to maintain high engagement and assure integration with department goals.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a creative, collaborative strategist who is passionate about access to medicines and addressing the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include experience working with and inspiring confidence in senior executives, having a long-term vision, political acumen, sound judgment and impeccable ethics and integrity. S/He will be highly organized, adaptable, a creative problem solver, be able to reprioritize/shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment. Exceptional interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills are a must as is the ability to synthesize, simplify and translate complex healthcare issues both verbally and in writing to broad audiences.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Health Policy, Public Affairs or related field;
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in a government affairs and/or advocacy capacity with a trade association, corporation, campaign apparatus, or in government;
- Excellent writing ability and highly organized orientation;
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes;
- Experience engaging with or working in the health care industry;
- Experience supporting senior executives.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.