Deputy Vice President – Medical Innovation Policy
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America’s (PhRMA’s) Policy & Research team is seeking a Deputy Vice President (DVP) to lead policy analysis and development, anticipate industry trends and contribute to and execute on proactive strategies related to a diverse portfolio of public policy issues. The policy issue areas of focus will relate to creating a favorable environment for continued medical innovation, including the R&D process, the value of new medicines, orphan drug development, personalized medicines, emerging treatment areas, marketing and promotion, and others.
The DVP will be responsible for engaging with PhRMA and member company staff to develop public policy and advocacy positioning in assigned areas. In addition, the DVP will lead a staff team performing the full spectrum of policy development activity, including: analyzing and preparing summaries of proposed legislation and amendments; developing PhRMA comments on key federal regulations; representing PhRMA externally with policymakers; leading engagement with PhRMA members; and developing/maintaining relationships with a range of external academic and policy organizations.
This position will report into a Senior Vice President in the Policy and Research Department, and will work closely with colleagues in Federal Affairs, Public Affairs, Scientific and Regulatory Advocacy, and Law departments on assigned issue areas, including responding to media, congressional, member, and departmental requests and will interact with external partners as appropriate.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as a recognized internal and external subject matter expert on assigned issue areas
- Manage and mentor staff
- Contribute to PhRMA policy strategy and develop consensus policy positions focused on issues impacting the ability to innovate
- Oversee and develop key advocacy materials, including talking points, briefing papers, research studies and presentations focused on the value of medical innovation to patients and the health care system
- Provide technical, advocacy, and educational expertise in support of federal advocacy and public affairs priorities
- Represent the industry externally, including with congressional staff, patient organizations, and key thought leaders through meetings, speaking engagements, and with the media as appropriate
- Lead work and oversee staff engaged in analysis of pending legislation and regulations
- Manage work of contractors and consultants conducting research, including developing scopes of work, managing budget and approving invoices, providing day to day project management and ensuring contract requirements are met
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive and action-oriented individual who is passionate about the health care industry, a champion for innovation in medicines and who has a strong desire to learn, grow and contribute to the health policy challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong team and collaborative focus with excellent analytic, quantitative, research, writing/editing, decision-making, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s in public policy, biology, or related field
- 10+ years relevant public policy experience
- Expertise in policy development related to innovation
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with the legislative or executive branches of state and/or federal government
- Experience in analysis of complex legislative and regulatory language
- Experience with the legal, regulatory and operational aspects of pharmaceutical research and development, FDA, and basic framework of regulatory incentives
- Experience with federal health programs and the private health insurance market
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment on short deadlines
- Ability to distill and communicate complex issues to a variety of audiences
- Strong organizational skills and ability to advance large/complex projects simultaneously
- Leadership and management training
- Advanced degree preferred
- Advocacy experience preferred
- Knowledge of pro-innovation and regulatory policies and basic framework of pharmaceutical intellectual property preferred
- Strong negotiating skills/ability to influence and build consensus
- Pharmaceutical company, congressional/advocacy, and/or policy and science background preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience supervising staff
- Formal or informal experience as an advisor/mentor
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $71.4 billion in 2017 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
To apply, click on the link below: