Intern – Communications
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking an Intern for its Communications team to support all department initiatives, activities and priorities. The Intern will assist broadly across the Communications team and work closely with multiple teams within the department. This is a paid position.
The Intern, Communications, will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Assist Communications teams in phases throughout the course of the internship;
- Support and learn from the digital/social/creative team through digital/social content creation process (development to execution);
- Support and learn from the media team through the media material content creation process, while learning the hard and soft skills to developing relationships with press from the team;
- Support and learn from the advocacy team as they approach legislative priorities and provide research and tactical support when developing materials to support PhRMA’s positions on such issues;
- Support and learn from the paid media team through both GOBOLDLY and PhRMA-branded campaign efforts, and;
- Support and learn from the measurement and research team as they analyze data and seek to learn more about the audiences PhRMA reaches.
Key Success Factors
Key success factors for this role include being outgoing, detail-oriented, a team player with has excellent editing, organizational and writing skills. A successful candidate for this role will be flexible and responsive and have the ability to work under pressure both independently and collaboratively. The candidate will have the opportunity to develop Communications experience by being integrated into each aspect of the Communications department throughout the tenure of his/her internship. As such, the candidate should have a strong team orientation and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Current student;
- Public relations, health policy, trade association or familiarity with Capitol Hill;
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills;
- Strong relationship building and collaboration skills;
- Commitment to high quality work products;
- Excellent editing and writing skills, with ability to strategically and creatively process information;
- Curiosity to stay abreast of current industry trends;
- Ability to take projects seriously and produce work quickly, but also curious enough to ask questions.
- 0-3 years relevant professional experience;
- Digital/social, advertising, paid media, media relations, or research/data analytics experience.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Please direct resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org