Senior Director - Law
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)is seeking a Senior Director in the Law Department. The Senior Director will provide both legal counsel and advocacy support along with other members of the Law team on issues relating to intellectual property (IP) protections for biopharmaceuticals, including patents, as well as other legal and regulatory issues involving federal health care programs and reimbursement.
This position will report to the Vice President, Intellectual Property and Law, and will work with other PhRMA lawyers working in the relevant subject matter areas.
The Senior Director will:
- Serve as legal counsel for issues related to the above and assure appropriate collaboration among staff;
- Advocate on behalf of PhRMA and its members on legal, regulatory and policy issues relating to IP pending before Congress, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), other government agencies, and the courts;
- Provide legal support on federal healthcare program issues, including Medicare, Medicaid, 340B and VA coverage, reimbursement and pricing issues, privacy/HIPAA issues pending before Congress, the Department of Health and Human Services(HHS), and other government agencies;
- Manage and supervise external counsel on issues relating to IP, health care, and related issues;
- Provide legal counsel to other Departments within PhRMA;
- Provide and coordinate support to federal, international and state advocacy teams on issues relating to IP and health care issues;
- Assist with PhRMA’s amicus brief program as needed, including review of requests for amicus support and coordination with outside counsel on responses;
- Perform legal analysis and research, and engage with PhRMA member companies and their legal teams;
- Analyze and draft comments on federal, state and international law issues, including draft legislation and regulations and their possible legal impacts.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about biopharmaceutical IP and healthcare issues and addressing the healthcare challenges we face today. The ideal candidate for this role will be a relationship builder, problem solver and analytical thinker. S/He should have a high level of emotional intelligence, professional presence and the ability to engage others and inspire confidence. Key success factors for this role include intellectual curiosity, strong interpersonal and communication skills, acute political sensitivity and diplomacy and a team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The successful candidate should be adaptable, be able to reprioritize/shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- JD and member of the DC Bar with at a minimum of 3-5+years of relevant experience in a law firm, as counsel in a corporation, as counsel in a trade association or other non-profit or as a public servant in a relevant government department or agency;
- Experience with IP law and biopharmaceutical issues, including the Hatch-Waxman Actor or USPTO proceedings;
- Experience with federal healthcare program issues;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to manage multiple complex high-visibility priorities;
- Ability to communicate legal concepts and opinions to non-lawyers both verbally and in writing; and
- Good facilitator of meetings with stakeholders; able to work with a variety of stakeholders and across departments, to drive consensus among disparate stakeholders
Preferred Attributes / Experience
- Experience in a law firm or in-house experience at a biopharmaceutical company
- Experience with HIPAA issues
- Litigation experience
Who we are
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.