Vice President – Policy, Research & Membership (Government Programs)
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Vice President for the Policy Research & Membership team to support its Government Programs efforts. The Vice President, Government Programs will lead the development of policy positions related to federal health programs, primarily Medicare and Medicaid, and s/he must be recognized as an expert in these areas. S/He will be responsible for leading Board-directed initiatives and priorities, as well as leading a staff team of at least four professionals performing the full spectrum of policy analysis and development, including: analyzing and preparing summaries of proposed legislation and amendments; developing PhRMA comments on key federal regulations and state Medicaid proposals; representing PhRMA externally with policymakers; interacting with PhRMA members, including through presentations to members of the Board of Directors; and maintaining relationships with a range of external policy organizations.
The Vice President is responsible for:
- Leading Board initiatives regarding Medicare Part D and Medicaid, including forging consensus across the membership on complex policy matters.
- Leading the development of policy positioning on Medicaid and CHIP.
- Advising and consulting on policy development related to commercial health insurance coverage, sharing lessons learned from Medicare and Medicaid.
- Leading the staff team in preparing accurate, insightful summaries and analysis of pending legislation and regulation.
- Playing a key role in building consensus among member companies about strategic considerations of range of policies for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Managing drafting, editing and reviewing of advocacy materials, including talking points, briefing papers, research studies and presentations.
- Working closely with PhRMA’s Federal and State advocacy teams.
- Representing PhRMA with external stakeholders, policymakers, media and in range of public forums.
- Maintaining broad network of working relationships in the policy community.
- Managing, mentoring and developing a staff of policy analysts, and leading enterprise-wide cross-functional teams working to advance Board-approved policy objective on Medicare Part D, Medicaid, and other issues as assigned.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work and prioritize tasks independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care policy analysis experience, particularly regarding Medicare Part D and Medicare reform and Medicaid and CHIP. S/He will also bring demonstrated expertise designing, reviewing and interpreting in-depth policy analyses to support public policy advocacy. This individual must have exceptional advocacy writing and public speaking skills, and should be focused, organized, responsive and diplomatic. The position will be highly visible, variable, and often fast-paced. Accordingly, the successful candidate must be self-directed, adaptable, able to seek and accept feedback, and willing to reprioritize and shift gears quickly.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- A recognized expert on Medicare and/or Medicaid policy issues, demonstrated through past publications, studies, expert testimony, media engagement, or similar.
- 15 years of experience in health care policy.
- Experience with the legislative and executive branches of federal and/or state government.
- Experience in analysis of complex legislative and regulatory language.
- Broad experience and familiarity with legal, regulatory and operational aspects of fee-for-service Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, and Medicaid/ CHIP.
- Strong understanding of private health insurance market, insurance regulation, health insurance benefits, and recent coverage trends.
- Experience with the regulatory process for federal health care programs and state Medicaid programs (including waivers, plan amendments, etc).
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with executive audiences on complex and technical issues.
- Demonstrated ability to lead enterprise-wide initiatives and cross-functional teams and to work collaboratively across groups within an organization.
- Three to five years of experience leading, supervising and developing staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency on a range of key leadership competencies, which may be assessed through surveys, interviews, references, etc., to be administered by a third-party vendor.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $900 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:www.PhRMA.org
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.