The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking an Associate Vice President for its International Advocacy team to develop policy positions, strategies, and analysis to improve patient access to innovative medicines. The individual will work collaboratively across the organization and with member companies, trade associations, and other stakeholders on international market access policy priorities. Specific policy issues include government pricing and reimbursement, health technology assessment, health care financing, and trade-related market access barriers.
The Associate Vice President will:
- Develop policy positions, strategies, and analysis to advance international market access policy priorities;
- Collaborate with member companies and other stakeholders, including senior leaders, to build consensus and advance policy proposals that help solve patient access barriers in key overseas markets. This will include advising and providing appropriate counsel to stakeholders;
- Lead research projects and manage consultants to ensure high quality, timely, and impactful work products;
- Serve as the face of PhRMA and represent the organization at meetings with US and foreign governments, member companies, trade associations, academia, think tanks, consultants, and other stakeholders.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, collaborative, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about fostering public policies that encourage continued medical innovation. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive policy development and analytical expertise, excellent writing skills, and the ability to convey technical content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Master’s degree in health policy, public policy, economics, or a related field preferred;
- 10+ years of experience in health or public policy, research, or advocacy;
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of health economics preferred;
- Ability to synthesize, distill, and communicate complex issues to a non-technical audience;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills;
- Self-starter and strategic thinker with experience solving unique and complex problems with broad impact;
- Availability to travel internationally periodically.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $71.4 billion in 2017 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
To apply, click on the link below: