Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Director for the Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (herein, Alliance) team to create and sustain U.S.-based partnerships that forward PhRMA's mission and strategic legislative goals on a national level. S/he will serve as the primary liaison for PhRMA’s engagement with primarily patient groups, and coalitions.
The Director is responsible for:
- Proactive outreach with third party groups and coalitions to include communication, education, and engaging these stakeholders regularly via all mediums (i.e. individual meetings, phone calls, events, fundraisers, public meetings, and networking).
- Analyzing and synthesizing complex policy- related materials into understandable and digestible language for constituency groups.
- Providing support to assist key organizations with deliverables where appropriate.
- Developing strategies and performing research and analysis for engaging third party organizations.
- Identifying gaps in the current network and areas of common ground that can serve as a relationship catalyst.
- Proactively coordinating Alliance activities PhRMA-wide to execute successful integrated campaigns.
- Serving as the issue lead on all FDA-related policy areas for the Alliance team. Tracking issue performance and contributing to the weekly Alliance activity report.
- Managing 3-5 consultants and the quality of their deliverables, timeliness of work, contract administration, etc.
- Managing budget for key program areas. Performing analysis of proposed expenditures and vetting expenditure requests PhRMA-wide to ensure alignment with PhRMA's priorities.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a compassionate, proactive, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include being a team player and having a collaborative orientation. The preferred candidate will have strong problem- solving and leadership skills and be a flexible, detail-oriented, self-starter and exceptional communicator. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Health or related field (Master’s degree related discipline preferred;
- 5+ years of experience working in the patient advocacy community, the Federal government, or with Congress;
- Sophisticated policy analysis skills;
- Experience in coalition-building;
- Strong understanding of FDA regulatory, drug development and approval processes;
- Understanding of public health programs, including Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act;
- Understanding of the legislative process;
- Ability to inspire confidence within the organization and with external constituencies;
- Must be willing to travel and be both responsive and available after hours and on weekends.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement for consideration to: email@example.com.