Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Director for the Federal Advocacy team to support its advocacy efforts.
The Director is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships and building support for PhRMA priorities, policies and positions. The Director will focus primarily on lobbying members of the United States Congress, specifically House Democrats and their staff on issues of import to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
The Director will:
- Lobby House Democratic members and their staff on potential/proposed legislation and the impact of such legislation to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Coordinate with PhRMA colleagues and member company staff on policy positions and the development of legislative strategy related to PhRMA priorities.
- Represent the Federal Advocacy team at internal PhRMA meetings and collaborate across departments on policy, engagement strategy and messaging materials.
- Anticipate, track and analyze legislation relevant to industry priorities, involving PhRMA staff and member company representatives as needed.
- Manage consultants who provide services to the Federal Advocacy team.
We are seeking a strong advocate for the pharmaceutical industry who is passionate about the health care challenges we face today. This Director role is highly visible and requires substantive engagement with members of Congress, member company representatives and all levels of PhRMA staff. Critical to this position is the ability to build relationships and support, communicate in a respectful and influential manner and work both independently and as a committed team player. The successful candidate will be a well-regarded, self-starter with a reputation for integrity and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government Relations or other related field of study;
- 5-7 years of combined legislative, White House, government affairs consulting and/or pharmaceutical industry experience;
- Understanding of procedures, protocols of standing committees regarding witnesses, testimony and Congressional activities, working knowledge of the Congressional process and ethics rules and regulations;
- Strong relationship building skills, integrity and reputation;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated collaborator and team player.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $65.5 billion in 2016 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org