Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Manager to join its Public Affairs team to support its communications to the media. The Manager will report to a Senior Director on the Public Affairs team and work closely with media, PhRMA staff, PhRMA member companies and external consultants.
The Manager, Public Affairs, will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Compose and edit press releases, company literature and articles for internal and external use and manage distribution of materials.
- Contribute to the Catalyst blog and other public-facing communications platforms.
- Triage incoming media calls and connect inquiries with the appropriate staff.
- Monitor, track and report media coverage; conduct media and issue research and analysis and produce summaries, distillations and other deliverables.
- Manage media contact database by adding new contacts and keeping existing contacts current.
- Assemble press kits and other press materials.
- Staff department activities, including press events, conferences, and announcements; writing summary memos and reports following activities and events.
- Assist with the implementation of departmental strategies, including working to increase visibility and repackage materials and assets.
- Create agendas, presentation materials and summary/compilation reports.
- Coordinate executive visibility opportunities and prepare briefing materials for PhRMA leadership.
- Serve as a liaison, both within the department and, more broadly, to help coordinate efforts among all PhRMA colleagues.
Key Success Factors
Key success factors for this role include being a multitasker, strategic and creative thinker, idea generator, problem-solver and self-starter. A successful candidate for this role will be adaptable and responsive, and have the ability to work under pressure, both independently and collaboratively. This candidate should have a strong team orientation, excellent interpersonal and written communications skills and the desire to learn and grow with the broader Public Affairs teams.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience;
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills;
- Experience working with external constituencies;
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and the ability to write for disparate audiences and channels (i.e., traditional and social) both strategically and creatively;
- Commitment to exceptional work-product quality;
- Exceptional organizational and project-management skills; and,
- Passion, motivation, energy, and curiosity to stay abreast of current industry trends.
Preferred Experience / Requirements
- Health policy experience and experience in public relations, media relations, trade association or Capitol Hill experience preferred.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political
affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org