Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director for its State Policy team within its Advocacy department to develop and lead the policy-related strategy for the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. The role is a highly visible position both internally and externally. S/He will serve as both a lead for PhRMA workgroups and will represent PhRMA at state legislative and regulatory hearings, and other stakeholder meetings. The candidate should be based in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S.
The Sr. Director will:
- Provide strategic guidance and advice to the regional field team on advancing PhRMA policy and protecting the industry as it relates to state legislation and regulation. Work with regional leadership to develop strategies and plans.
- Analyze legislation and regulation, draft testimony and testify, represent PhRMA policies at meetings and create documents (e.g., statements and talking points) to support state lobbying efforts.
- Support the development and/or implementation of national policy for assigned issue areas (e.g., Medicaid, health exchange coverage, cost/value, secure disposal, alternative payment models, etc.).
- Work with internal and external teams to develop action plans for bills being introduced into assigned states (e.g. Pacific Northwestern states) related to these issues.
- Represent PhRMA at various meetings, including state legislative hearings, regulatory agency meetings, and senior-level stakeholder groups. Meet with legislators, governors, and state agency leads and their staff, as needed. Prepare presentation material for all such meetings.
- Identify and develop relationships with key policy stakeholders.
- Collaborate with and present to senior PhRMA management on key issues within the regional assignment, as well as assigned national policy issues.
- Co-lead or lead assigned workgroups, including coordinating activities with member companies, scheduling and preparing material for meetings and developing related advocacy material.
- Respond to requests from regional field team and member companies to provide information, explanations and any supporting material needed.
- Coordinate special project work including assistance with scopes of work, project timelines, contracts and budgets.
- Coordinate, oversee and review the work of consultants to ensure desired quality and scope of work is met.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about patient access to medicine and addressing the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include the ability to mobilize quickly, to work well both with a team, yet able to work independently, employ exceptional diplomacy, ability to build consensus, commitment to organization’s mission, and drive. Excellent relationship building and communication skills are a must and include the ability to inspire confidence and influence audiences through effective presentation, testimony, and group facilitation. The candidate must have an ability to handle multiple complex issues simultaneously, prioritize effectively, think strategically regarding assigned policy areas, and quickly adjust to the changing political environment.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Health Policy, Political Science, Public Affairs, or another field;
- 5+ years of progressive experience in state government affairs and/or within state government, legislature, regulatory, or executive branch;
- Previous experience analyzing policy and developing policy-related action plans;
- Previous experience working with state health care issues affecting the biopharmaceutical industry;
- Working knowledge of state health care issues affecting the biopharmaceutical industry;
- Must be willing to travel (up to 50% of the time during certain times of the year) and be responsive and available after hours and on weekends as needed; must have a valid driver’s license;
- Be an adaptable, creative problem solver, who is comfortable working in a high-pressure environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills that foster the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet short non-negotiable timelines.
- Previous experience working in a state government/legislature policy role, national trade association, or the pharmaceutical industry;
- Advanced degree in Law, Business, Health Policy, Public Policy, or related field.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement referencing “PhRMA-Senior Director State Advocacy (Pacific Northwest)” for consideration to: email@example.com.