Affordable Care Act
Affordable Care Act
The biopharmaceutical industry’s top priority is to provide patients with access to high quality medicines. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act offers many Americans the opportunity to purchase health coverage through the health insurance exchange. Unfortunately, health insurance exchange coverage may not be all that patients expected. High deductibles, cost-sharing, and restrictive formularies potentially put patient health at risk. This means that patients may face higher costs for treating some of the most debilitating diseases and chronic conditions, while also limiting access to the treatments they need. As discussions around the exchanges continue, we are committed to working with the Administration, insurance companies, and other stakeholders to ensure helping patients remains the focus.
Health Insurance Exchanges by State
Click the state map below to view key facts about 2014 health plans and prescription drug coverage in your state's health insurance exchange.
- 86% of Exchange Plans Are Putting All Covered Drugs in At Least One Class on the Highest Cost-Sharing Tier
- Avalere Research and Analysis: An Analysis of Exchange Plan Benefits for Certain MedicinesAn Analysis of Exchange Plan Benefits for Certain Medicines - See more at: http://www.phrma.org/affordable-care-act/coverage-without-access-an-anal...
- Press Release: New Report: Many Exchange Plans Burden the Most Vulnerable Patients with High Out-of-Pocket Costs for Vital Medicines
- Exchange Plans Are More Likely to Require Patients to Meet Deductible Before Drug Coverage Begins
- Milliman Report: Impact of the Health Insurance Marketplace on Participant Cost Sharing for Pharmacy Benefits
- Press Release: New Report: Many Patients with Exchange Coverage to Pay More than Twice As Much Out Of Pocket for Prescriptions Compared to Employer Plans
- Blog Post: New Study Shows High Deductibles in Exchanges Single Out Patients Who Need Medicines
- Health Insurance Exchange Graphics
- Even After a Deductible is Met, Patients Often Have High Cost-Sharing for Prescription Medicines
- Breakaway Report: Review of Formulary Coverage, Cost Sharing and Access in Top Exchange Plans
- Fact Sheet: Out-of-Pocket Costs in Health Insurance Exchanges
- Despite Out-of-Pocket Maximums, Patients Still Face Burdensome Out-of-Pocket Costs
- Blog Post: Reality of Prescription Med Cost
Page last updated 06/11/2014 ~11:43 am EST