Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director for the Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (herein, Alliance) team to create and sustain U.S.-based partnerships that forward PhRMA's mission and strategic legislative goals on a national level. S/he will serve as the primary liaison for PhRMA’s engagement with third party organizations and coalitions on PhRMA’s legislative and regulatory priorities. Specifically, the Senior Director will be responsible for engagement around components of value driven health care, including value based contracting and value assessment. The Senior Director will work directly with select advocacy groups such as health care professional organizations (patient, physician, nursing, or pharmacy organizations) and other constituencies (multicultural, progressive, LGBT, or consumer groups) as identified by Alliance staff.
The Senior Director is responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with third party organizations in coordination with the Alliance staff, to include identifying gaps in the current network and opportunities for new relationships;
- Developing a third party engagement strategy on value-driven health care (including but not limited to value-based contracting, value assessment) and other priority federal issues;
- Proactively coordinating Alliance activities PhRMA-wide to execute successful integrated campaigns;
- Contributing to the weekly Alliance activity report;
- Managing consultants including the quality of their deliverables, timeliness of work, contract administration and budget
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of team and collaborative focus. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care expertise and be an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field (i.e. political science, health policy, health systems, health care practitioner);
- Experience working with patient and physician advocacy organizations;
- Sophisticated (5 years or more) policy analysis skills;
- Experience building, managing, and/or interfacing with coalitions
- Understanding of public insurance programs including Medicare and Medicaid
- Understanding of the Affordable Care Act and regulatory environment
- Understanding of the legislative process
- Display an ability to inspire confidence within the organization and to external audiences
- Must be willing to travel 15% of time and be responsive and occasionally available after hours and on weekends
- Background as a health care professional (e.g. MD, RN, RPh) or with a specialty society desired
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $65.5 billion in 2016 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: