Research and Hope Awards
PhRMA 2014 Research and Hope Awards
Criteria and Procedures for Selection
Research & Hope Awards (“Excellence in Research”)
The PhRMA Research & Hope Awards is a prestigious honor that recognizes advances made across a critical disease or health condition by individuals or organizations in the biopharmaceutical sector, academia/government, and the provider and patient communities. It is a celebration of the science, achievements to date, the possibilities to come and the vital role played by members of the biomedical research ecosystem in addressing unmet medical needs and public health imperatives.
The 2014 Research & Hope Awards will honor innovators in the area of HIV/AIDs research and development, including recent advances in prevention or treatment and/or promising projects in development. Within the “Excellence in Research” categories, honorees may be nominated from across the spectrum of the ecosystem – scientists working in academic research institutions, government agencies and biopharmaceutical companies (domestic and international), non-profit organizations, patient associations and more.
- April 18, 2014 Deadline for receipt of nominations to PhRMA
- May 16, 2014 Voting completed by the PhRMA Foundation Scientific Advisory Council and vetted by the PhRMA Foundation Board
- September 10, 2014 Award presentation
Criteria for Award Nomination (“Excellence in Research” Awards)
Nominees must be widely recognized as instrumental figures in the field of HIV/AIDS research and development, by having made significant, lasting scientific contributions to the fields of HIV/AIDS research.Contributions can range from basic research to development of novel therapies and tools that have enhanced medical care in HIV.
The “Excellence in Research” Awards include two categories: “Excellence in Biopharmaceutical Research” (awarded to an individual or team within a biopharmaceutical company) and “Excellence in Academic/Government Research”.
- Recognized world-class scientific leadership in the field of HIV/AIDS research and development, as demonstrated by publication (first or last author) and citations in high impact-factor journals, invitation to speak and chair at prestigious national and international conferences, and/or holder of patents relevant to the award area.
- Compelling evidence that work pursued has made a novel, significant, and lasting contribution to improving human health.
- Nominee must be currently employed and actively working on HIV research and development within an academic institution, research-based government agency, non-profit organization, or biopharmaceutical company (preference will be given to PhRMA member companies for the “Excellence in Biopharmaceutical Research” track).
- Award winners will be expected to travel to DC on September 10th, 2014 to be honored at a dinner attended by members of the science community, advocacy organizations and legislators. Awardees also may be asked to participate in a roundtable discussion about research and advocacy specific to HIV/AIDS prior to the awards ceremony, as well as related media activities.
- Travel and accommodations will be paid for by PhRMA.
- Nominee must reside in the United States
All nominations must include the following materials compiled into a single PDF document following this exact order:
- Completed application form (specifying nomination for either the “Excellence in Biopharmaceutical Research” or the “Excellence in Academic Research” category)
- Summary of research accomplishments (2 pages maximum in length), including:
- Research focus
- Detailed description of two to three major accomplishments and impact of each accomplishment on advancing scientific knowledge
- List of relevant publications/presentations and/or patents
- List of previous awards (if any)
- Three letters of recommendations highlighting the nominee’s excellence and wide recognition in the field of HIV/AIDS research and development
- Biographical sketch
- High-resolution photo that can be used in event publication
Please e-mail the application materials, compiled into a single PDF document, by Friday, April 18, 2014 at 5pm (ET). Failure to submit all required application materials by the deadline will automatically disqualify an applicant for further consideration.
After receiving nominations, the Scientific Advisory Council of the PhRMA Foundation will select the Awards winners. Honorees will be notified of their award on or around May 16, 2014. All winner selection decisions will be final.